Thursday, September 22

2003

Download the 2003 mix.

I remember the first time I heard "Hey Ya." I had already heard the original first singles ("She Lives in My Lap" and "Ghettomusik" were posted on the Arista website) a number of times, and I had been somewhat disappointed in the Andre song; a little too much Prince. I was searching for two new Speakerboxx songs, new single "The Way You Move" and "Church" (which, in my opinion, turned out to be the best song on the album) when I came across "Hey Ya," the now first single from The Love Below. The guitars took me by surprise, and the hand claps were simply shocking. Outkast making pop? I had no idea the song would blow up the way it did, but it's catchiness is immediately obvious. It's a fantastic song, and the first real monster on any of these mixes.

The rest of this mix is not exactly made up of runner ups. An easy observation to make from these two mixes is that pop had a much better year in 2003. "In Da Club," "Seven Nation Army," "Move Your Feet," "Ignition (Remix)," is there any pop genre that did not have a smash? Add on to that the dance punk fad, some My Bloody Valentine-like electronic tracks and that excellent Johnny Cash cover, and you've got a really spectacular set of songs.

Some songs I left off: Killer Mike: A.D.I.D.A.S., Alicia Keys: If I Ain't Got You, Radiohead: There There, and anything from Shine a Light, Lemon of Pink, and Greetings From Michigan. I also decided to ignore crunk, though I know it is a big omission. Perhaps this will be addressed in the 2005 mix (possibly with a song from Hustle and Flow). For now, get your crunk on Mtv like everyone else does.

If you have comments, suggestions, or complaints, please don't hesitate to post them below.

1. Hey Ya! - Outkast - 3:55
2. Such Great Heights - The Postal Service - 4:26
3. Jacknuggetted - Manitoba - 3:29
4. Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes - 3:51
5. Milkshake - Kelis - 3:06
6. Crazy in Love - Beyoncé - 3:55
7. Ignition (Remix) - R Kelly - 3:09
8. Slow - Kylie Minogue - 3:14
9. In Da Club - 50 Cent - 3:13
10. Lucky Star (Feat Dizzee Rascal - Basement Jaxx - 4:31
11. Move Your Feet - Junior Senior - 3:01
12. House of Jealous Lovers - The Rapture - 5:05
13. Me and Guiliani Down by the Schoolyard - !!! - 9:04
14. Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - 3:39
15. Hurt - Johnny Cash - 3:38
16. He War - Cat Power - 3:31
17. Bird Stealing Bread - Iron And Wine - 4:21
18. Run Into Flowers - M83 - 4:09
19. She Moves She - Four Tet - 4:41

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this mix, but I disapprove of the lack of Alycia Keys and strongly disagree with your choice of Cat Power song. He War is the weakest song on You Are Free.

Mon Sep 26, 10:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you've already got The Rapture to represent dancepunk, I would omit "Me and Giuliani" which would make room for crunk and something else (choosing from your list, I'd say either Alicia Keys or something from Shine a Light--there's gonna be Radiohead on other mixes, and I assume "Smells Like Content" and something from Illinois is gonna make it on to the 2005 mix).

Mon Sep 26, 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger bza said...

You're the one who told me to get rid of the Alicia Keyes song!

Well, I don't want to get rid of Me and Giuliani. I like that song, and I don't like crunk. You are right about the books and Sufjan. Shine a Light is great, but I don't think it matters in the big scheme of things, and I don't even know what the singles were, if there were any.

As for Cat Power, sorry, but that's the big song from that record. And I actually like it, even if it isn't my favorite track.

Mon Sep 26, 11:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

first off, the concept of something being "a little too much prince" is an imossibility and is borderline offensive.

jokes aside, 2003 turned out real nice. It was a great year for pop, as it, well, 'popped' up in indie, dance, garage rock, hip hop and almost every other genre. It's a ridiculously listenable year. even the 'heady' stuff is pretty rooted in pop.

I find alicia keys both very talented and very bland, so I approve of the omission. The only song of her's that I'd approve of on a mix is "Fallin'", which is both my favorite of her stuff as well as the most important.

I think He War is a pretty sweet tune. It may not be the best tune on You Are Free, but it was released as a single (correct me if I'm wrong) and it fits better with the overall feel of the 2003 mix, whereas most of the album would sorta stick out.

Ignition is such an awesome song. 2005 is going to feature all 10 parts of "Trapped in the Closet," right? Don't dissapoint.

Mon Sep 26, 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger bza said...

Let me clarify the prince comment. He was ripping off prince a little bit too much. Better?

Mon Sep 26, 11:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, better. the song does share a lot with "if I was your girlfriend".

the whole indie-dance-disco thing was pretty huge in 03. Maybe not on MTV but those two songs were all over a lot of other places, which counts for something, and !!! and Rapture are actually pretty different in their approach to the genre. I say keep both.

i don't think there is a good crunk song for 03. You've got Get Low in 02 and Yeah! in 04.

Did you guys hear about D'Angelo?

Mon Sep 26, 11:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I lobbied for no Alycia. Maybe because I knew some of her older, stronger singles might make the '01 mix?

Oh well.

By the way, how do you pronounce "!!!"?

Mon Sep 26, 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger bza said...

you didn't, etan did.

Fallin' will be included later.

It is pronounced "chik chik chik" most of the time.

Mon Sep 26, 11:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can pronounce it with any one syllable word, repeated 3 times like Pow Pow Pow or Bang Bang Bang. I like to pronounce it with silent shock.

I thought I was the OG no Alicia Keys lobbier.

Mon Sep 26, 01:32:00 PM  
Blogger bza said...

yeah, you might be right jules. in fact, you probably are.

Mon Sep 26, 02:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was gonna say...I don't remember giving Alicia the thumbs down. Matt are you sure you want to set a precedent for including 9-minute songs on your mixes? The mid-seventies are gonna be rough.

Mon Sep 26, 05:31:00 PM  
Blogger bza said...

explain.

The mid 70s are looking okay.

Mon Sep 26, 05:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are plenty of nice ways to represent prog rock in less than 4 or 5 minutes. even ELP divided into 'suites', and almost every prog band had a shorter pop tune with their proggy elements.

Mon Sep 26, 06:08:00 PM  
Blogger bza said...

let's just say that without some serious offsite lobbying there are going to be a lot of disappointed prog fans around here.

Mon Sep 26, 06:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will fight to the death over Rush...most of their gigantic radio hits were released in the late 70s and 1980/81, so it might not be such a problem to work them in anyhow.

Let's just say there's gonna be some serious offsite lobbying. Gentle Giant 4EVA!!!

Tue Sep 27, 09:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bza,

so are the flaming lips going to be on the 2002 mix instead of 2003? i know the record came out at the middle of the year, but 'do you realize' definately did not come into play right away. but i'd pick fight test over dyr anyway. i guess there's a case to be made that their major step forward was with the soft bulletin and that yoshimi is an extension of that territory, but i think that's going to prove to be a very influential record down the road.

whatcha think??

Tue Sep 27, 05:28:00 PM  
Blogger bza said...

On a personal level, yoshimi just means so much to me circa 2002 that I can't include DYR in 2003. I know it hit bigger then, but I listened to that album so much in 02 that it would be ridiculous to include later.

I hear what you are saying though.

Wed Sep 28, 10:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home