Tuesday, May 30

1970

Great year. 1970 was smack dab in the middle of the popular music peak of 1967-1973, and while it was definitely a transition year, that didn't stop the quality from rising. A great John Lennon single, my girlfriend's favorite Velvet Underground song, the most famous (though far from the best) Kinks song, and one of the most popular Neil Young songs.

What 1970 really was was the pinnacle of "Classic Rock." Though they aren't the legendary songs they are made out to be, "Oye Como Va," "Spirit in the Sky," "Who'll Stop the Rain," and "Layla," are all great, and they have been downright worshipped by a generation of kinda sorta music fans who went on to have children and drive station wagons. Add onto those a great Dead song, and a classic Crosby, Stills, and Nash track and you've got 95% of a Classic rock radio station's rotation (side question: which stock radio station plays a smaller range of songs, oldies stations or classic rock stations?).

Okay, okay, I've gotten through two paragraphs without mentioning it, but maybe someone already noticed: The Beatles. They were this little band from Britain, I know most people don't know them, but I really like their music, and I think if I include them on these mixes, maybe they can finally get the exposure they deserve. Seriously, though, I've decided to do something a little different with the Beatles. Since everyone has their records, or at least has heard the major songs from them a thousand times, I'm putting all non-album singles (until I get down to the early records, where this is impossible). This is a great way to avoid having to make really difficult decisions, but it's also good for the mixes to have something a little more unusual. For 1970, I picked an alternate version of "Across the Universe." It's my favorite version of the song, and it's one of my favorite John songs, probably second only to "Girl," which also happens to be my favorite Beatles song.

Enjoy the mix, and next week, the 60s. I'm quivering in anticipation.

Download the mix here.

1. Sex Machine - James Brown - 5:15
2. Down On The Street - The Stooges - 3:43
3. Lola - The Kinks - 4:03
4. Moondance - Van Morrison - 4:36
5. Sweet Jane - The Velvet Underground - 3:18
6. Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield - 3:37
7. Oye Como Va - Santana - 4:17
8. Spirit In The Sky - Norman Greenbaum - 4:02
9. Who'll Stop The Rain - Creedence Clearwater Revival - 2:29
10. Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell - 2:14
11. Only Love Can Break Your Heart - Neil Young - 3:08
12. Instant Karma - John Lennon - 3:20
13. Coal Miner's Daughter - Loretta Lynn - 3:01
14. Joshua - Dolly Parton - 3:00
15. Across The Universe - The Beatles - 3:47
16. O-o-h Child - Five Stairsteps - 3:14
17. The Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - 3:00
18. Casey Jones - Grateful Dead - 4:24
19. Teach Your Children Well - Crosby, Stills & Nash - 2:54
20. Layla - Derek & The Dominos - 7:05
21. My Sweet Lord - George Harrison - 4:43

4 Comments:

Blogger bza said...

link away.

Is there a deal I'm missing? I'm but a simple blogger.

Wed May 31, 01:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yaaay! Staying away from LZ and the Btls. I like you more every week.

Wed May 31, 11:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't at all disagree with your inclusion of oye como va, but i have to say that even if I exceed the life expectency of my generation by a hundred years, i won't need to hear that song ever again. my love for santana and clapton shrinks with every year I age.

you're not staying away from the beatles. bza, tell em how you're not staying away from them. tell em.

60s are aweeeesome.

Thu Jun 01, 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger bza said...

Say it ain't so, joe, say it ain't so.

I love the Beatles, but no one needs to be told to listen to "Something" or "In My Life." Not that "Hey Jude" is an unknown b-side, but at least it doesn't pop up on the White Album.

Thu Jun 01, 11:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home