Wednesday, August 16

2005

I broke a rule to begin 2005, I put in the awesome, buzzworthy, relevant Boondocks theme just to give the record a nice little opening. As for the rest of the mix, while it is a little hip hop heavy, it's a great set of songs, stuff that really holds up a year later. Listening to it, I really changed my mind about last year and the strength of the lineup. "Welcome to Jamrock," "Still Tippin," "Chicago," and "Banquet" were big hits in their own ways, all major successes that still sound massive. "Chicago," of course, was not actually released as a single (see also "Smells Like Content" and "Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left"), but by 2005 blogs had made actual single releases irrelevant, and now you don't need to have a release or even radio play to have a big individual stand-out.

After jumping forty-five years in one week, does anything remain from 1960? Ray Charles, of course, but past that there seems to be very little you can point to. The slow evolution back in time showed such clear patterns, and yet here we are, looking at pop, the much maligned form of music that never changes, never grows, and always sounds the same, and we can't even recognize it. I find that pretty cool, even in the stretched out context.

So, all things must end, and though this project will go on (all of these lists are constantly being reconsidered, many have already been changed, and I will be making a new one each year) this blog will be in suspended animation for at least the next couple weeks as I am moving and I don't have enough time to come up with anything to do with it right away. I want to thank everyone who has been here from (around) the beginning, and all those who came towards the end. I hope you got even half as much pleasure listening to these mixes as I got making them. Feel free to come back, post on whatever mixes you have ideas for, complain about songs I included or omitted, and tell me what you've grown to love. Nothing would make me happier than that last one, because this project is really about discovering new (old) music and learning to understand and appreciate music history. I don't know how well I succeeded, but it was certainly fun to try.

Here's the mix, enjoy.

1. The Boondocks Theme Song - Asheru - 0:32
2. Banquet - Bloc Party - 3:19
3. Welcome To Jamrock - Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley - 3:33
4. Still Tippin' Feat. Slim Thug & Paul Wall - Mike Jones - 4:32
5. Dreams - The Game - 4:46
6. My Friend Dario - Vitalic - 3:37
7. Testify - Common - 2:36
8. One Thing - Amerie - 3:41
9. Ch Ching - Lady Sovereign - 4:45
10. Daft Punk Is Playing At My House - LCD Soundsystem - 5:16
11. Do You Want To - Franz Ferdinand - 3:38
12. Stay Fly (Ft. Young Buck and Eightball) - Three 6 Mafia - 3:56
13. Feel Good Inc - Gorillaz - 3:41
14. Gold Digger (Feat. Jamie Foxx) - Kanye West - 3:28
15. A Nervous Tic Motion Of The Head To The Left - Andrew Bird - 4:59
16. Hate It Or Love It Remix (Feat. G-Unit) - 50 Cent - 4:23
17. Breathe Me - Sia - 4:35
18. Extraordinary Machine - Fiona Apple - 3:44
19. Smells Like Content - The Books - 3:41
20. Chicago - Sufjan Stevens - 6:04

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you! i've been following since day one, and every mix has been worth it.

[i still did not get two years, 1985 and 1998. anyone by chance have these, or bza could you make some available upon request?]

Wed Aug 16, 08:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for making this past year's Monday's somewhat tolerable. I'll miss it.

Wed Aug 16, 08:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I somehow stumbled upon this site the second week you posted a mix, and have visited every week since. I concur with the earlier post that says that you have made (nearly) a year of Mondays tolerable, and I'll miss that. But I have 45 years of great music to listen to, for which I'd like to sincerely thank you.

Look forward to seeing (or hearing) what you do next!

Wed Aug 16, 09:35:00 PM  
Blogger bza said...

Thanks for the kind words.

As for the missed mixes, anyone who has them is welcome to put them up. Since you were nice and only requested two specific mixes (I get quite a few requests for "every mix before 1963"), I'll put them up later today.

Thu Aug 17, 09:36:00 AM  
Blogger bza said...

1985:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i17frd

1998:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ut6lnf

Thu Aug 17, 10:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you.

Fri Aug 18, 07:47:00 AM  
Blogger justin said...

A 2005 mix without any Wolf Parade, Antony & The Johnsons or Animal Collective? BZA, you've got some explaning to do...

Fri Aug 18, 09:56:00 AM  
Blogger bza said...

To be honest, I don't have any of those records, and I never really got into any of those groups. Do you have specific song suggestions and an argument for their importance?

I can definitely see an argument for the latter two, Wolf Parade seems a little routine if you ignore any subjective opinions of quality.

Fri Aug 18, 10:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should post a picture of your record/cd collection

Sat Sep 09, 10:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home