Tuesday, July 3

2006

Okay, I know no one is around, but here I am anyway posting my mix. I've been very behind on this, so I apologize, mostly to myself.

Last year was a fairly strong one for singles. There were three huge smashes in "Crazy," "My Love," and "Irreplaceable." The first is still rough to listen to after so much overplay, but in a few years this will be remembered as the classic track it is. I picked "My Love" over "SexyBack" not only because it is a better song, but because the T.I. verse looks so nice sitting next to the ATL emcee's smash "What You Know" from the best selling hip hop album of 2006. And finally, "Irreplaceable," Beyonce's biggest hit to date and Ne-Yo's best song to date, is a few minutes of perfect pop that this decade could use a lot more of. It's also a shining example of the music that has basically dominated the charts for the past, oh, twenty years. It's all about female R&B when it comes to the hot 100.

The biggest thing to note here is the almost complete absence of rock. 2006 (and so far, 2007) has shown how dead the genre that previously ruled music is. TV on the Radio has heavy electronic influences, which leaves The Strokes and the 20 year olds of Arctic Monkeys as the only representation from this once dominant genre.

Anyway, here's the mix.

1. Wind It Up - Gwen Stefani
2. You Only Live Once - The Strokes
3. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
4. My Love (feat. T.I) - Justin Timberlake
5. What You Know - T.I.
6. Moving Like A Train - Herbert
7. Waters Of Nazareth - Justice
8. I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor - Arctic Monkeys
9. Wolf Like Me - TV on the Radio
10. Ain't No Other Man - Christina Aguilera
11. Irreplaceable - Beyonce
12. Be Without You - Mary J. Blige
13. I Wanna Fuck You (Feat. Akon) - Snoop Dogg
14. Hip Hop Is Dead - Nas
15. Wamp Wamp (What It Do) (Feat. Slim Thug) - Clipse
16. Wouldn't Get Far (Feat. Kanye West) - The Game
17. Tapped (Feat. JME) - Skream
18. So Sick - Ne-Yo
19. That's Life - Killer Mike
20. Lost Ones (Feat. Chrissette Michel) - Jay-Z


Download the mix here.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still here! Can you please re-up the mix? Thank you!

Sun Aug 19, 08:10:00 AM  
Blogger Tristan M said...

can you re-up this and 1998? please!

Mon Aug 20, 09:27:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I just discovered your site! This is AMAZING! Wow... can you reupload some of these fantastic albums?

Mon Sep 17, 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just wanted to add another request to re-up this mix. I have all of the others, and would love to complete the collection.

Thanks!

Tue Nov 06, 08:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have every year other than 1985 and 1998. email me trularoy@gmail.com if you want to trade any.

Fri Dec 21, 09:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A decent list, some will be classics one day others are already fading into nothing, it is a strange mixture but it works.

Fri Apr 25, 03:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home