Friday, October 14

2000

For anyone who wants earlier mixes, I will be reposting the first four mixes later today and tomorrow, so check back later in the week and they will all be up. Okay, moving forward.

Download the 2000 mix here.

2000 was a great year for hip hop, some of which is not represented on this mix. If you've ever talked about hip hop with me, you probably know that Supreme Clientele is one of my favorite hip hop records of all time, and I also really love Blackalicious's Nia and Reflection Eternal's Train of Thought. All three of these records are not represented because I didn't feel any single defined them well enough. Perhaps "Too Late" or "Cherchez La Ghost" should have been included, but I like my choices here better. There will be a Blackalicious song represented next year, however.

Some great electronic music this time around: "Crazy Love" will be the lone representative of the much-maligned Garage movment, "Lebanese Blonde" is a great Thievery Corporation song, and opener "Frontier Psychiatrist," while it hit bigger in the States in late 2001, was already making waves world wide the year before. Since I Left You is probably my album of the decade, by the way.

One last thing about this mix: I chose "Down to the River to Pray" to represent the O Brother sountrack. I did this because it was probably my favorite new recording on the album, and because it featured Alison Krauss, whom I am a big fan of and who will not be included on later mixes, even though her music made quite a splash in the early to mid nineties within the bluegrass community. I highly recommend her music, even for people who aren't big country music fans. She has a beautiful voice.

Here's the list, post suggestions and comments below if you are so inclined.

1. Frontier Psychiatrist - The Avalanches - 4:48
2. The Light - Common - 4:21
3. Stan - Eminem - 6:44
4. B.O.B. - Outkast - 5:04
5. One Armed Scissor - At The Drive-In - 3:44
6. Hip-Hop - Dead Prez - 3:33
7. Country Grammar - Nelly - 4:19
8. Try Again - Aaliyah Ft. Timbaland - 4:40
9. Say My Name - Destinys Child - 4:30
10. Crazy Love - MJ Cole - 3:27
11. Gravel Pit (Edit) - Wu Tang Clan - 4:17
12. Idioteque - Radiohead - 5:09
13. Bohemian Like You - Dandy Warhols - 3:31
14. Lebanese Blonde - Thievery Corporation - 4:48
15. Down To The River To Pray - Alison Krauss - 2:55
16. Yellow - Coldplay - 4:29
17. Untitled (How Does It Feel) - D'Angelo - 7:10

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

alison krauss and wu-tang. my head just exploded. i love that song, though, my fave off that ST (new or re-recorded), too...

Tue Oct 18, 08:25:00 AM  
Blogger edan said...

matt, i am leaving for LA tommorow morning, i will be there until saturday morn and then ill be back for sunday night, email my shit with some digits if you wanna hang out somewhere if you arent busy.
edanwilber AT gmail.com

Tue Oct 18, 02:58:00 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Matt - I love this mix with few exceptions. It's hard to believe this is from 2000 - I remember Morse put Frontier Psychiatrist on a mix, and too this day I listen to that song as often as I can.

I also hope that she is reading this, b/c I want Morse to remember when I used to go around saying "D'Angelo, untitled" in my Madonna faux-brit accent.

Looking over my comments I'm just a sappy collector of memories - like when Auds dressed up as Aaliyah for our tribute party to the memory of that beautiful lady.

Only 2 more things - Have you noticed that the background samples for Say My Name are from Sonic the Hedgehog - when he collects coins and then when the coins explode from him after he touches something spikey.

I also like to believe that Wu Tang using the phrase "back back forth and forth" in Gravel Pit is also an Aaliyah tribute.

I'm done.

Thu Oct 20, 01:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea if your checking this far back anymore. helloooo?

how about primal scream's "Accelerator" or 'Swastika Eyes". XTRMNTR was like a comeback thing for them sorta. it also features kevin shields on a lot of songs.

Thu Nov 10, 02:03:00 PM  
Blogger bza said...

thought about it, but rejected. Primal Scream really didn't matter anymore, here. Sorry, but we can't factor in personal favorites too much.

Thu Nov 10, 02:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i can dig primal scream not fitting on here, but I would disagree with your assesment of the record. I know it was huge in UK, and it was a big time import here, and I think it totally predicted the whole electroclash thing.

kevin shields is more of a bonus. its always nice to see him get out of the house a bit.

Fri Nov 11, 05:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home