Monday, October 31

1998

Download the 1998 mix here.

A few last minute changes on this one knocked off Hole's Celebrity Skin (which was really just there because it was short) and Marilyn Manson's "Dope Show" ("Sweet Dreams" was also considered for an earlier mix). "Praise You" replaced "Rockafeller Skank" because of time issues. While I think "Praise You" is the far better song, "Rockafeller Skank" is way more important, so I'm sad to see it go, but this is probably a better mix without it.

Overall, this is a pretty good set. Lauryn Hill, Black Star, Outkast, and some great electronic, most notably Air's "Sexy Boy," which revolutionized the downtempo scene, and Stardust's "The Music Sounds Better With You," the solo single from one half of Daft Punk, which predicted the house bliss of the group's Discovery. And then, of course, there's "Teardrop," which is really one of the best songs of the decade, though it's not even the best song on Mezzanine.

There are some great one hit wonders in the late to mid 90s, with acts like Marcy Playground, Harvey Danger, and Beenie Man from this year alone. One I couldn't put on here that I highly recommend is Dub Pistols' "Cyclone." One of my favorite singles ever, but just not well-known enough to make it on here.

Some songs I left out: Fastball: "The Way," Juvenile: "Ha," Natalie Imbruglia: "Torn," Sugar Ray: "Every Morning," Beastie Boys: "Intergalactic," New Radicals: "You Get What You Give," Pulp: "This is Hardcore," Semisonic: "Closing Time," Cher: "Believe" (one of the worst songs ever), and yes: Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On."

Post comments below.

1. Praise You - Fatboy Slim - 5:23
2. Hard Knock Life - Jay-Z - 3:57
3. Doo Wop (That Thing) (Edit) - Lauryn Hill - 3:57
4. Music Sounds Better With You - Stardust - 4:20
5. Ray Of Light - Madonna - 5:19
6. Sexy Boy - Air - 4:57
7. The Boy Is Mine - Brandy & Monica - 3:55
8. Gone Till November - Wyclef Jean - 3:26
9. (Sim Sima) Who Am I - Beenie Man - 3:15
10. Definition - Black Star - 3:26
11. You Know My Steez (edit) - Gang Starr - 3:44
12. Rosa Parks (edit) - Outkast - 4:23
13. Ghetto Supastar - Pras Michel Ft ODB and Mya - 4:25
14. No Shelter - Rage Against the Machine - 4:03
15. Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger - 3:35
16. Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground - 2:53
17. Waltz #2 - Elliott Smith - 4:40
18. Pure Morning - Placebo - 4:16
19. Teardrop - Massive Attack - 5:30

15 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

Matt the fact that you included Elliott Smith makes me want to give you a big fat hetero kiss.

I must respectfully disagree, however, with the exclusion of Intergalactic.

I would get rid of Sex and Candy or Flagpole Sitta (both songs I enjoyed very much back in the day) and put the beloved Beasties where they belong - on this mix.

Otherwise, I am very much looking forward to reliving 1998 as I block out the ugliness of the world like the Ipod-addict I am.

Mon Oct 31, 11:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please re-up 2000-2002.

Mon Oct 31, 01:29:00 PM  
Blogger bza said...

good to have you on the blog wilson. Reflection Eternal came out in 2000, and I ended up not including a track just because I couldn't pick a song out of the strength of the full album.

By Nas, I assume you mean I am... and not Nastradaums, but "Hate Me Now" was the big hit from that album, and I fucking hate that song. "Nas is LIke" is a fantastic song, and was considered, but ultimately not a big enough song.

I agree with you that 1998 is a much better mix, though I think there are some great tracks on the 99.

As for my personal sacrifices in the coming mixes... you'll have to wait and see how far I went.

Claire, I'm glad to hear you approve of the mix, that elliot smith song is, of course, fantastic.

Anonymous, I just re upped those mixes last week, so unfortunately you will have to wait a little while for me to do it again. I will soon though, sorry to make you wait.

Mon Oct 31, 02:05:00 PM  
Blogger Etan said...

Wow, what drew you to Waltz #2 over Independence Day or Sweet Adeline? Was it released as a single? I never thought that much about Waltz #2.

Mon Oct 31, 09:32:00 PM  
Blogger bza said...

waltz #2 got quite a bit of radio play (though it wasn't quite as big as miss misery, it's a far better song IMO). I'm surprised you never thought much about it. You don't like it? I think it's great.

Mon Oct 31, 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger bza said...

From allmusic: "The aptly named "Waltz #2" gave singer/songwriter Elliot Smith his commercial breakthrough, receiving moderate radio airplay as the first single form [sic] his major-label debut album, the exquisitely crafted XO."

Mon Oct 31, 11:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand BZA's respect for Air and I can enjoy a song or two of theirs, but I feel that their only contribution was to the ambiance of fancy-pants 20 something dinner parties, art openings, and upscale boutiques. Not my kind of revolution.

Tue Nov 01, 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tue Nov 01, 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

If you were going to put "Miss Misery" on a mix would it go on 1997 when the GWH soundtrack came out or 1998 when it was nominated for an Oscar?

Fucking, "My Heart Will Go On." The memory of the 1998 Oscars will always hurt a little in my heart.

I choose to remember Elliott in his white suit, with his guitar at the Oscars - what a wonderful image.

I agree with our host that Waltz #2 is fantastic. It's a really telling song for that album - moving from the early clear, simple, vocal focus to the final multi-layered Basement on a Hill stuff.

That being said, I'm listening to XO again right now, and they're all great - Baby Britain - Sweet Adeline - Pitseleh . . .

Ok I'm going to get back to work before I start crying like a relapsing Nirvana fan.

Tue Nov 01, 11:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, teardrop is the opening themesong to house. they don't use the vox though.

i'm glad harvey and marcy made it on here. rock was pretty sketchy in the late 90s, and those two songs are pretty good. I'm equally glad that semisonic didn't make it on. did you consider "who sucked out the feeling?" by super...chunk? too many 'super' bands. that was the other one that was popular at the time, as I remember it.

Tue Nov 01, 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger bza said...

yeah, and night stalker uses max richter, which is awesome.

I considered both of those songs, but they are both awful.

Tue Nov 01, 12:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no arguement there.

is nightstalker any good?

Tue Nov 01, 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger bza said...

no.

Tue Nov 01, 12:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

super 8... didn't they sing 'king of the world'? i remember kind of liking that song when i saw the vid on 'the box'

Wed Nov 02, 01:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Music Sounds Better With You....i never thought I would hear that song again. Holy crappola, Matt. you are da bomb. I have nothing smart to say about your mixes because I just don't think about this stuff all that often...but wow you have some real dinosaurs in here and I am thinking of copying your mixes on CD's and giving them to my friends for Christmas..or I could just direct them to your music blog. ahhh yes. that is what I will do.

Thu Nov 10, 12:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home