Monday, November 21

1995

Download the 1995 mix.

Oh jeez, this takes me back. Punk broke big in the end of 94, so along came The Offspring (Smash it Up came out in '94, but broke big in '95) and No Doubt, as well as And Out Come the Wolves..., one of the best Punk records ever. Bush tried to keep Grunge afloat with their huge success, and Brit Pop continued its renaissance with Pulp's Different Class and Oasis's What's The Story (Morning Glory)?

I kicked off the mix with four straight females, but I neglected to include "You Oughta Know," simply because I do not like that song anymore, and I cannot bear to listen to it. It's probably the biggest song I've left off of any mix, but I'm the boss, so there.

I hadn't noticed this, but looking at my order, this is probably the most segregated of my mixes. The back to back Wu triumphs were inevitable, and "Crossroads" sits so nicely next to "Waterfalls" (which was released in '94 but didn't hit big until "Creep" was worn out). Tricky's "Black Steel" was the bigger song, but got switched because of time for an equally appealing track.

Some songs I left off: Smashing Pumpkins: "1979"; Garbage: "Stupid Girl"; D'Angelo: "Brown Sugar" or "Shit, Damn, Motherfucker"; The Presidents of the United States of America: "Lump"; Blur: "Country House"; Foo Fighters: "This is a Call"; Mobb Deep: "Shook Ones, Pt. II"; anything from Liquid Swords.

1. Stutter - Elastica - 2:22
2. Just A Girl - No Doubt - 3:32
3. Missing - Everything but the Girl - 4:58
4. Down By The Water - PJ Harvey - 3:14
5. Hell Is Round The Corner - Tricky - 3:47
6. Ice Cream - Raekwon - 4:13
7. Shimmy Shimmy Ya - Ol' Dirty Bastard - 2:41
8. Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio - 4:01
9. You're All I Need - Method Man & Mary J Blige - 5:09
10. Crossroads - Bone Thugs N Harmony - 3:49
11. Waterfalls - TLC - 4:39
12. Aeroplane - Red Hot Chili Peppers - 4:44
13. Common People - Pulp - 5:51
14. Everything Zen - Bush - 4:38
15. Self Esteem - Offspring - 4:18
16. Ruby Soho - Rancid - 2:37
17. Hyper-Ballad - Björk - 5:21
18. Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead - 4:50
19. Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis - 4:47

14 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

Everything Zen has the fortunate side effect of reminding me not only of 1995, but of my college roommate (you know who) who was deeply obsessed with Gavin.

That in turn reminds me of the scene in High Fidelity where he is organizing his records autobiographically - how comforting.

And just because you may someday be the father of children who will call me Auntie Claire, I won't castrate you regarding the omission of Alanis. I too get sick of that song, but there are so many on that album (mostly the non-hits) that had a huge impact on our generation - but that said, it's your project, do what you wish.

Just remember, Auntie Claire will be there to infuse the young minds of your offspring with the talents of Mrs. Ryan Reynolds.

CB

Mon Nov 21, 02:12:00 PM  
Blogger bza said...

sorry Claire. I held on to You Oughta Know for a long long time against great odds, but ultimately I just don't care to listen to the thing.

Mon Nov 21, 02:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe that "You Oughtta Know" and D'Angelo got cut... and Everything but the Girl made it..

Great list overall!

Mon Nov 21, 04:04:00 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Nothing from Mellon Collie? That album was absolutely huge in '95-96. The Pumpkins were one of the biggest bands of the 90s, so they probably deserve to be included somewhere...maybe "Disarm" or "Today" will make the '93 or '94 list.

Tue Nov 22, 09:28:00 AM  
Blogger bza said...

Hey, that's my name dude!

As for Mellon Collie, I have no good reason for not including a song. The only two that would make it would be "1979," which I personally cannot stand, and "Bullet With Butterfly Wings," which really should be on here.

I think someone months ago argued that I should take it off, but I can't remember who. I might have to make some adjustments. That song was huge. Don't worry though, obviously the Smashing Pumkins will be included.

Tue Nov 22, 09:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to applaud the inclusion of Hyper-Ballad here. I am not a fan of Bjork but it is my favorite Bjork song, and I think it is the favorite Bjork song of many of us who do not count ourselves among the ranks of Bjork-philes. It wasn't just the swan costume but that did not help. Anyway, glad you went with the song of hers that goes the furthest in terms of what she is best at.

Tue Nov 22, 10:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bullet with Butterfly wings is so weak. I loved Siamese Dream, and they really lost me with Mellon Collie. My pick for that would probably be "Tonight, Tonight", cuz 1979 is weak too.

Was Aeroplane from the dave Navarro album?

Oh yea, was Elastica's Connection up for this one? I remember that one more strongly than I do stutter.

BONE THUGZ!!!!!

Tue Nov 22, 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger bza said...

Oh woops. I meant to include "Connection" and not "Stutter." "Stutter" is the better song, but "Connection" was bigger. Fuck it.

Yeah, "Aeroplane" is from one hot minute. That would probably be the song to go in place of a Smashing Pumkins song. I don't remember tonight tonight. Maybe I'll just keep it the way it is.

Tue Nov 22, 10:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tonight Tonight was a good song. Very cinematic and orchestral.

Tue Nov 22, 01:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad I didn't miss "Down by the Water" all these years... Thank YOU, Trent, for helping me appreciate my life more.

Wed Nov 23, 05:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shouldn't some Puffy song be on these mixes by now???

Wed Nov 23, 05:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one have enjoyed the lack of Puffy. I heard enough of him in the 90s. He was/is not a talented guy.

Wed Nov 23, 09:30:00 AM  
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

good to see another LA music blogger

Fri Nov 25, 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger Tristan M said...

I had never heard "Common People" before until this mix. Wait, that's not accurate; I might've heard it once or twice, but your mix was first time the track was brought to my attention. And it is just a remarkable and kinetic joy of a song. Kudos.

Tue Nov 29, 01:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home