Wednesday, December 28

1990

Okay, let's do this thing. Remember there will not be a mix next week, but instead I'll be putting up all the older mixes, 1991-2004 if I can do it.

But 1990 is this week, and let me tell you: there is some great, great music in here. Okay, maybe it isn't 1994. In fact, maybe it doesn't come close. But 1990 was a year for singles, when one-hit wonders and unabashed pop was de riguer, and mainstream rock was basically a wasteland. C+C Music Factory is a total joke now, but there was a time when they were the future of dance music. Coming out of the house music scene in england, they became a brief fad in America and ended an almost comeback of dance music, a comeback that was already in full swing in England, as demonstrated by the rock dance combo of Primal Scream.

Some fabulous singles to be had here, from "Poison" to "Tom's Diner," which was originally done illegally by taking a Suzanne Vega spoken word piece and laying it down over music; Vega liked it so much when she heard she allowed them to release it officially. I can still remember the Fly Girls dancing to it on In Living Color. "Nothing Compares 2 U," Sinead's cover of a Prince original, is also not to missed.

I don't have the ability to copy and paste my playlist from this computer, and I don't feel like typing it out, so the list is going to have to be a surprise this time. I'll put it up when I get home.

Download the mix here.

EDIT: Here you go.

1. Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) - C+C Music Factory - 4:06
2. Tom's Diner - DNA feat. Susan Vega - 3:49
3. Everybody Everybody - Black Box - 4:04
4. Poison - Bell Biv Devoe - 4:20
5. Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor - 5:07
6. Vogue - Madonna - 5:17
7. Kool Thing - Sonic Youth - 4:05
8. Kinky Afro - Happy Mondays - 3:56
9. The Humpty Dance - Digital Underground - 5:42
10. Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice - 4:26
11. You Can't Touch This - MC Hammer - 4:17
12. Been Caught Stealing - Jane's Addiction - 3:32
13. Hold On - En Vogue - 5:03
14. Can I Kick It? - A Tribe Called Quest - 4:04
15. Welcome To The Terrordome - Public Enemy - 5:25
16. Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode - 4:21
17. Loaded - Primal Scream - 7:02

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you!

Wed Dec 28, 12:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not as rock as 94, but wow the hip hop in 90 was good stuff!

Wed Dec 28, 12:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea that "Nothing Compares 2 U" was a Prince song. Now I don't dislike Prince as much as I once did.

But why the use of numbers as words?

Wed Jan 04, 12:21:00 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Finally got to listen to 1990. Great stuff.

1994 and 1990 make me proud to say I grew up in the 90s. For some reason, it seems even more shameful to say you grew up in the 90's than the 80's. My older sisters (and my lady friend) are constantly reminding me what it "actually" means to have come of age, as it were, in the 80's.

I'm usually shot down while attempting to claim I'm a Generation Xer as soon as someone asks who was President when I was born, but come on 1981 is barely Reagan. However those of us in this predicament are loathe to sympathize with the Generation Ys.

That is why 1990 and 1994 are awesome mixes that resonate with me and those in my birth year. Kudos Matteo.

Tue Jan 10, 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger JG said...

so what's on this comp???? btw love this site..

Wed Jan 18, 10:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home