Monday, November 28

1994

Download the 1994 mix here.

Undoubtedly the most difficult year post-1970, 1994 had so many things coinciding at once that I could have easily made two 80 minute mixes that were every bit as relevant as any other year of the 90s. The last gasp of grunge, the year punk broke, the year Brit Pop exploded, and some fantastic singles, from Nine Inch Nails’ “Closer” and “Hurt,” to the Meat Puppets’ “Backwater.”

As major as all of those things are, 1994 was really owned by hip hop. Not since 1988 had hip hop had so many classics, and you can look at most of the music on later mixes as direct descendents of this music: Illmatic, Tical, Resurrection, Regulate, Ready to Die, Word… Life, Ill Communication, Boxcar Sessions, The Main Ingredient, Hard to Earn, Southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik, Genocide and Juice, Fear Itself, Fadanuf Fa Erybody, Blowout Comb. All in 1994. That’s music from northern and southern California, Altanta, Chicago, Houston, and New York, all at the top of its game, representing the best they have to offer. So you understand the difficulty I had in narrowing down this list. I made a few tough choices: I went with the one-hit wonder “Flava In Ya Ear,” which basically started Bad Boy off, and I moved Nas to 1993, where “Halftime” first hit, and hit big (in New York).

But rock’s showing isn’t exactly shabby. Green Day’s “Longview,” Stone Temple Pilots’ “Big Empty,” Pavement’s “Cut Your Hair”… Does music get any better than this? 1994. Wow.

Songs I didn’t include: Nirvana: “The Man Who Sold the World”; Urge Overkill: “Girl, You’ll Be a Woman Soon”; Soul Coughing: “Screenwriter’s Blues”; Outkast: “Player’s Ball”; Ace of Base: “I Saw the Sign”; Ahmad: “Back in the Day”; Coolio: “Fantastic Voyage”; Crystal Waters: “100% Pure Love”; Goldie: “Inner City Life”; Ini Kamoze: “Hot Steppa”; Primal Scream: “Get Your Rocks Off”; Salt-N-Pepa and En Vogue: “Whatta Man”; Veruca Salt: “Seether”; Bad Religion: “21st Century Digital Boy” and “Infected.”

1. Corduroy - Pearl Jam - 4:37
2. I Used To Love H.E.R. - Common - 4:38
3. Big Poppa - The Notorious B.I.G. - 4:12
4. Bring The Pain - Method Man - 3:09
5. Big Empty - Stone Temple Pilots - 4:56
6. Long View - Green Day - 3:59
7. Backwater - Meat Puppets - 3:41
8. Doll Parts - Hole - 3:31
9. Sabotage - The Beastie Boys - 2:58
10. Flava In Ya Ear - Craig Mack - 3:36
11. Regulate - Warren G - 4:08
12. Cut Your Hair - Pavement - 3:06
13. Buddy Holly - Weezer - 2:39
14. Girls & Boys - Blur - 4:50
15. Live Forever - Oasis - 4:38
16. Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden - 5:17
17. Sour Times - Portishead - 4:14
18. Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley - 4:35
19. Hurt - Nine Inch Nails - 6:14

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about other people, but this really was my musical coming of age year. I have a distinct memory for just about all of these songs except for Common's, who I did not know about until '99. My loss. Great mix, BZA.

Mon Nov 28, 12:26:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

i agree w/ +1. best mix yet. thanks for these.

Tue Nov 29, 07:18:00 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

G-reat mix my friend.

Tell Big Poppa I miss her, and I'm glad our ballad has found a home.

The B Boys finally got on a mix, yahoo!

I'm also going to say something really intense right now:

"Last Goodbye" is a good song.

There, I said it. All those people who know how much I hate jeffbuckleyism will realize how much that statement hurts, but it's true.

However, I will remain steadfast in my hatred of John Mayer.

Wed Nov 30, 11:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

besides having better songs, lyrics and overall taste than john mayer, Jeff Buckely also actually had a good voice, as opposed to John mayer's faux-sexy-whisper crap. ugh. So, even if you hate both, I think they maybe belong in different hate leagues. Or maybe different hate sports even.

Wed Nov 30, 02:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mf Wils here.... This mix I love the most so far... really phenomenal choice of songs, and I was shocked and offended when I read the list of Cuts before listening to this through a couple times...... There's something very special, one factor perhaps being how here's no boy/girl-bands or other recognizable soul-snappers (of '94... I wouldn't let Oasis, Hole, BBoys, Green Day, and especially Weezer near any loved ones these days)..... But it's much more than that-- a real mix of sounds and attitudes within the realm of Pop-- artists/styles that all feel confident and like their not just reacting to something (see if my opinion changes in two weeks). Also, 14-19 are a very beautiful set to end a mix CD with. (Also, should've known which song from The Crow you'd go with.. so obvious!). Looking forward to more BZA. Peace.

Wed Nov 30, 04:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

listening to this mix really brought me back to the memory of buying the Meat Puppets album "Too High To Die". I was in the kitchen looking at the weird, green monster drawing on the inside and my granmda saw the album name and the picture and asked me what was this all about.
I said I didn't know.
She said "It's about drugs, isn't it? I think that's wonderful". It was really weird.

Wed Nov 30, 04:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home