Tuesday, January 10

1989

A little late this week, but here none the less.

The Eighties are everyone's ironically favorite decade, made of crappy movies and crappier fashion. Probably the worst decade since the seventies, the eighties were also where Mtv came from, so naturally it's where one-hit wonders began to take over.

Yeah, there are some established stars on here, like Madonna, The Beastie Boys (whose Paul's Boutique was a massive bomb when released), and Public Enemy, who created "Fight the Power" for Spike Lee's now-classic Do the Right Thing. And in fact, there are primarily memorable artists on this mix, even more than 1990. But the tail end of the decade is still the decade, and there are also the ones you only hear about on late-night commercials for Time Life comps: Fine Young Cannibals, Young MC, and let's be honest here, Biz Markie.

A couple tracks I included, 808 State's "Pacific" and Lil' Louis's "French Kiss" you might not know, but they were major club hits, with Lil' Louis's "French Kiss" often cited as the classic of House's commercial peak. I think it's the sexiest beat ever made, even without the simulated orgasm.

1988 will see the golden age of hip hop, but this year was when rock tried to reestablish its dominance, a move that would eventually culminate in Nirvana. But stripped of the excess pop of the early nineties, and (mostly) past the dated production techniques of the mid-eighties, 1989 seems to be a broad year encompassing some of the strongest music each genre has to offer. I hope you enjoy.

Download the mix here.

1. I Wanna Be Adored - The Stone Roses - 4:52
2. Debaser - Pixies - 2:52
3. Just a Friend - Biz Markie - 4:06
4. Me So Horny - 2 Live Crew - 4:36
5. Love Shack - B-52's - 5:23
6. Like A Prayer - Madonna - 5:50
7. Hey Ladies - The Beastie Boys - 3:47
8. Pacific - 808 State - 3:46
9. Back To Life - Soul II Soul - 3:52
10. French Kiss (The Original Underground Mix) - Lil Louis - 4:51
11. Epic - Faith No More - 4:53
12. Head Like A Hole - Nine Inch Nails - 4:59
13. Fight The Power - Public Enemy - 4:42
14. Free Falling - Tom Petty - 4:09
15. She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals - 3:36
16. Bust A Move - Young MC - 4:26
17. Me Myself And I - De La Soul - 3:50
18. Love Song - The Cure - 3:30

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think 89 is a pretty good year and a damn good mix.

i love the stone roses and don't think you could put a bad song off of that album on here, but out of curiosity, why Adored over She Bangs The Drums? preference? I guess adored has become the iconic song from that album, but She Bangs the Drums was my first and eternal favorite stone roses song. If Fools Gold would fit, I suppose that'd be the obvious choice.

Besides that, and a wish that D.O.C. could be on here, pretty awesome. DOC's fuckin great.

Wed Jan 11, 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger bza said...

DOC is indeed great, but I ultimately decided his record didn't make a big enough splash.

I picked Adored for three reasons.

1. I like it best.
2. It has established itself as the signature song.
3. It is a great first track for a mix, in my opinion.

Fools Gold was, indeed, too long.

Wed Jan 11, 12:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have mixed feelings about the fade in to Adored. Sometimes, especially when high, It's nice to be led into the album gently. sometimes, i just want to hear the song. that said, it is a nice first track for a mix.

i'm glad you put 2 live crew on here.

isn't fine young cannibals a split-off of english beat? they were pretty hyped at the time, if I read correctly and roland gift was marketed as a sex symbol. a weird euncuch with a receding hairline type sex symbol.

Wed Jan 11, 02:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, why did you put "Debaser" on this mix instead of putting "Where is My Mind?" on the 1988 mix? They're both singles, but I feel like the latter is/was bigger in the long run.

Except for Tom Petty, this actually isn't a bad mix.

Wed Jan 11, 06:20:00 PM  
Blogger bza said...

Who says I won't have "Where is My Mind??" on 1988?

I'll take your second comment as a compliment.

Wed Jan 11, 06:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't throw him on the box a whole lot, but ain't nuthin' wrong with tom petty. he is what he is.

Wed Jan 11, 09:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom Petty is good. He's a quintessential rock singer and he's good at it.

Debaser is an excellent Pixies song. One of their best.

Back to Life was one of my favorite songs when I was a kiddo.

I hate the B52s but understand why they must be included.

Great mix!

Thu Jan 12, 12:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the b52s have really grown on me... mesopotamia is pretty awesome.

Thu Jan 12, 11:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's certainly possible that my disdain for them stems from having seen too many drunk people sing Love Shack while doing that dance where you stack your hands ontop of one another and kind of bounce back and forth...

Fri Jan 13, 10:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yoooo, got wat I neeeeeed!! And it's the yearly mixx, oh you've got the greatest pix! oooohhhh YOoooo, got what I neeeeedddd, and I know you're Just a Friend, but you're a really, really good friend!

Fri Jan 13, 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger Etan said...

I'm so glad you managed to fit Mike Patton somewhere on Gentle Indifference. That guy's influence on non-mainstream rock music post-FNM is easier felt than explained, but it's there. What a bizarre single "Epic" is--one of those early rap/rock hybrids, but it's not really much of a hybrid, there's just a rap part and then a rock part. FNM deserved all the attention lumped on the Chili Peppers but they were a little too subersive.

So would I imagine that "Kool Thing" was released as a single in '89 even though Goo came out in '90? Not one of my favorite Sonic Youth tunes, but I love the silly Chuck D cameo at the end.

Fri Jan 20, 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger bza said...

Check again. "Kool Thing" is on the 90 mix.

Fri Jan 20, 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Etan said...

Goddammit. There's so much to pay attention to. I have a swirl of noise and static floating around my head right now 'cuz I'm listening to the Boriz/Merzbow record. My apologies for sullying your hallowed blog with my ADHD tripe.

Fri Jan 20, 11:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home